Discovering the Main Island by the leeward coast
ANCHORAGES ON THE WEST COAST FROM NORTH TO SOUTH
- Baie du croissant : on the poum peninsula. Protection NE/E/SE. Remarkable anchorage on sandy bottom in 4 metres water depth.
- Koumac : one of the best shelters of the region. One important area for birds conservation is located between Koumac’s Big Reef and the Main Island : 16 islets, more than 25,000 marine bird couples, some of them endangered.
- St Vincent Bay : Large, deep with many islets. Many shelters for all type of winds on sandy and muddy bottom. Scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing, etc.
- Tenia islet : coral and sandy bottom, 3 meters deep. Protection SE/E. Nice diving and snorkeling around the boat or on the reef drop off, manta rays, dolphins.
- Bourail Bay : trade-winds protected near the beach of Roche Percée (Pierced Rock) and turtle bay with dugongs and dolphins.
North of Nouméa
2 islets are worth a visit:
- Îlot Moro, deserted islet, surrounded by white sand, easy anchorage by SW/S/SE winds. Nice diving on the reef drop off.
- Mbe Kouen, sandy islet. Protection S/SE. Fun boarding and kite surfing spot. Sea birds.
NORTHERN MARINA KOUMAC
VHF 67 ; ph.: 47 34 34
Call the harbourmaster’s office before arrival. Entrance to the marina is exposed to the trade-winds, best to enter early in the morning. 3 pay moorings outside the basin allow some port services. Guest dock for ships from 8 to 20 metres long (on reservation), draft 3.50 metres.
Water, electricity, toilets, wifi, weather forecast, post, telephone/fax, laundry, shuttles marina/Koumac (4 km), bike rental. Mobil gas station (starts august 2016).
Payment by cheque or cash.
- Kaala-Gomen/Voh Kan-Gunu : on the poum peninsula. Protection NE/E/SE. Remarkable anchorage on sandy bottom in 4 metres water depthArea of sustainable management. Specific protection of sea cucumber, all other fishing permitted according to environmental code.
- Nekoro Bay : strict Nature Reserve, strictly forbidden. Mangroves, shoal, and grass bed vital for turtles and dugongs.
- Poé, La Roche Percée (Pierced Rock) and the pretty Île Verte (Green island) or Siande: nature reserve, accessible but restricted.
- Îlot Tenia : Area of sustainable management. Accessible but restricted.
Hospital ph.: 42 65 00
Gendarmerie ph.: 47 89 50
Post Office ph.: 47 62 30
BCI ph.: 25 53 77
Société Générale ph.: 25 79 87
Mobil ph. : 45 65 69
Shell ph. : 42 82 82
Total (gaz) ph. : 47 61 75
Ph. : 46 46 12
Point I / Information ph.: 42 78 42
Air Calédonie ph.: 42 40 96
Diving Rêve bleu ph.: 42 45 64
Garage Pamiès ph.: 47 62 28
Medical centre ph. : 47 74 70
Gendarmerie ph. : 47 89 30
Gas station SSP ph. : 75 44 43
(accessoires pêche et nautisme)
Rock climbing sites in Koumac Caves (4b-6b) and Notre Dame
Rocks (3 to 7c) with 70 routes. Banian trees roots, bird songs and fruit
bats flights. ph.: 74 16 80
Drift diving in Poe’s rift : old river’s bed in the lagoon, 20 meters deep.
Bourail Aqua diving ph.: 78 08 88
PARC DES GRANDES FOUGÈRES
(Park of Giant Ferns)
Trails in the heart of a dense humid forest with tree ferns, notou…
World heritage site in Sarraméa, next to La Foa.
Ph. : 43 72 00 grandes-fougeres.nc